1. What are the rules for Fall Flag?
Our rules are based on the BCYFCA Flag rules with some modifications.
2. When is Fall Flag registration?
Registration typically begins in April and runs through late July. There will be several ‘in person’ registrations. You will be able to also register online. Check the homepage for more info about registration.
3. What is the registration cost?
Registration is $85.00 per player.
4. When does the Fall Flag season start?
Practice begins in early August (or late July depending on the coach) with games beginning in early September. The regular season runs through mid November followed by playoffs which can last into early December.
5. When are practices?
Practices are during the week (typically on Wednesday). Prior to the season practices are 2 times a week. Practice times during the week typically begin around 5:30pm and run about an hour. During the pre-season there may also be Saturday practices. Your child’s coach will give you more info on the exact time and location of practices.
6. When are games?
Flag games are played on Saturdays (usually starting in the morning and games run through early afternoon). Each team may play one weekday game during the season.
7. Where are games played?
All games are played at Viera Regional Park.
8. What are the age groups?
There are three age divisions:
Rookie Flag — Ages 4–6
Mighty Mite Flag — Ages 7–8
Senior Flag — Ages 9–10
Super Senior Flag — Ages 11–13
9. Can girls play?
10. Is there travel?
No! All games are played at Viera Regional Park.
11. What equipment does my child need for Flag Football?
Cleats and a mouth guard. Mouth guards are required to play Flag Football. Cleats are highly recommended. Soccer cleats will work fine!
12. What about uniforms?
The league supplies uniforms which include a performance shirt and shorts.
13. What is the difference between SVYFL Fall Flag and SVYFL NFL Flag?
Fall Flag allows for contact blocking and runs concurrently with the SVYFL Tackle/Cheer seasons (Aug-Dec). Fall Flag is basically a feeder/training league for SVYFL Tackle. We groom and teach our kids to prepare them for tackle. NFL Flag is a non-contact league for all kids that runs Jan-Mar. Teams are smaller and the games are faster. Age limits are 5–17 years old. Leagues are divided up by age group.
14. Can I request a specific team?
In most cases we allow the requesting of specific teams. Teams remain the same from year to year, however, in some cases we must divide the kids up evenly by talent to keep the league competitive.
15. How do I become a coach, team parent, or other volunteer?
If you would like to become a flag coach, please email Jeff Brown at email@example.com. On your child’s registration application you can specify what you’d like to volunteer for.
16. I signed my child up for tackle, if he does not like tackle can he play flag?
Yes, if he is league age 11 or younger.
17. I signed my child up for tackle and now he plays flag, will I be refunded the difference in registration cost?
18. What is the league age cut off?
19. Are there weight restrictions?